Friday, April 16, 2010

Weekend in Penang

Took a short trip to Penang over the weekend, for work, but I managed to get the man to tag along, so it became something of a little getaway for us. Our second weekend away, which turned out to be as good as the first, save that spot of work I had to do the better part of Saturday.

Took the ferry across to the island- which I have not done since I was like what 6 years old !!!!!!!!!

Wating to board the Ferry
I don't like the smell !!!

First glimpse of the island!!!!
Penang is always fun with the promise of good food …
Checklist Dinner Night 1 : Gurney Drive
• Assam Laksa
• Fried Oysters
• 10 chicken satay
• Claypot Chicken Rice

Checklist Dinner Night 2 : Tanjong Tokong Food Market
• Penang Hokkien Mee
• Char Kuay Teow
• Char Hor Fun
Have decided that Tanjong Tokong Food Market is now my fave food place in Penang. The prawns in the noodles were so HUGE!!!!!!!!

But the best part of the weekend was the time spent with the man. Without getting all mushy mushy, there were so many things that he did over the weekend that just blew me away. Apart from insisting on doing all the driving, having lived in Penang he knew all these places that he knew I would like.

One of the prettiest trees - to have in my future garden!

I am a nutter for old historic buildings or anything ancient and antique for that matter. And after my workshop on Saturday, he drove me to Fort Cornwallis, where the first British colony was established when Francis Light landed on the island. Was just such fun walking around and sitting on the old cannons!

In front of the original lighhouse and flagstaff


Not amused by the need to pose of piccies!!

Later that evening, I wanted to drive down Batu Ferringhi beach. Suddenly he parks and says lets go walk. Seems that he knew where the break between the hotels were that would take us down to the beach. And his secret plan …. to walk on the beach and watch the sunset.
On the way back we took the trunk road through Kuala Kangsar and had an interesting time getting lost with the GPS in Ipoh. It was a bit of an adventure but we got lucky and chanced upon the most amazing chicken rice shop at 3 in the afternoon! Sorry though no piccies of that great lunch - the hungries attacked before I could think about taking pics!!!