The race calendar for the year looks something like this right now…
March 27th : Energizer Night Race – 10K √
May 16th : New Balance 15K
June 27th : KL Marathon 21K (1/2 Distance)
December 5th : Singapore Marathon 42K (Full Distance)
For the record, I did not even have such a think as a race calendar till last year, so this one is definitely a new one for me. To add to the focus and commitment, the man seems to have taken to this running thing with a bit of gusto as well. Nice to have someone special to share these things with !!!
Anyway to get moving again – finally pushed past the 10K mark on Sunday. Did 3 loops around Damansara Heights – 13.8K. I must say, I really started to feel it on that 3rd round, past the 1 hour mark. Everybody talks about muscle memory – nobody remembers to tell you that the muscles remember the pain first.
Surprise, surprise – I just only hit 1000 calories for that distance. I remember the days when I could easily scorch 1000 cals inside the gym. Trainer says it’s a good sign, am getting fitter; but I must confess I am addicted to the cheap thrill of the numbers. Akin to my addiction to the weighing scale. Other surprise – post run muscle soreness was minimal – by the night felt fine. Was tired – and knocked out for an hour during my weekly manicure-pedicure, but felt generally ok after.
Am now thinking that I need to push on for the 21K, that should be ok – and the greater goal the 42K full marathon in Singapore in December seems to be just within doable! (YES – I AM OFFICIALLY NUTS!)
Am also so proud of the man – he has not done anything beyond 10K recently , and he pushed to complete that 3rd loop. Can’t imagine what it must have taken him to do that. Am a bit worried though, his knee seems to be giving him some trouble. Had to ice it last night for him and its still sore today. We have to plan and strategise his workout.
Other exciting thing, being the tech geek that he is, the man keeps downloading and testing some new phone apps for running every week. Sometimes I think that’s the only thing that motivates him to get up at the crack of dawn on a Sunday morning…. I wish I could say it was chasing my butt, but I sincerely know it ain’t !!!
Anyway – from our very unscientific testing – best app out there for sports right now is Endomondo!
It keeps track of your distance, speed, is synced to GPS so you can view your route map after the run. Best of all it talks to you every km – to update you on your performance.
Check it out at http://www.endomondo.com/



