Now , now, don't let that title get your knickers in a knot !!! This blog is dedicated to a certain Marathon Virgin in my life !
So whats this all about ??? The first long distance race for the year – the Standard Chartered KL Marathon ½ distance (that’s 21km in case you didn’t know it).Sunday morning saw us up at the crack of dawn; 4am to be exact to get to Dataran Merdeka, park and race at 6.15am.
My race tag for the this year ! Can’t buy 4D – boo hoo hooo !
Morning of the race, the reality of whats up ahead not quite hit yet. The only relief was the rain that morning cooled down the weather significantly which made running that route bearable.
At the start point – with my best friend Hammy 1 ! We always have done this thing where we end up dressing alike – unplanned; which has led to the unfortunate distinction of people at the gym thinking we were lesbian partners ! Yes – much to BOTH our dismay.
The crazy bunch post-race ! We have decided there is a very fine line between psycho and sheer stupidity !
Now to the fun part – the title of this blog must be explained ! When we were walking to the start point that morning, saw this banner “Marathon Virgins join us”. That got me thinking - how apt! It was the man’s Virgin 21k run – and this blog is dedicated to him!
The following montage describes perfectly his experience for the day.
Raring to go, little aware of what was to come.
Just finished – “WHY THE HELL DID I DO THAT?????”
Later that day – knocked out !!!!!
I am so proud of him for pushing through and finishing the race, given the preparation or lack of thereof leading up to this race. His work schedules were so crazy, that the most he did was 10k the week before. His time was really awesome for a first 21k! Post race was most interesting, The Man’s current recovery pill of choice – Makcik Nasi Lemak with chicken and a cold coke ! I kid you not folks ! That’s what we were eating in a little warung at the Bukit Aman carpark at 10.30 in the morning after the race. Must say though that nasi lemak and the lontong I had did the job beautifully, cause we managed to make it home without keeling over!
I must also admit – I was a bit of a witch over the weekend, not the best running buddy to have around. For that I apologize and realize that I could have and should have been so much more supportive given that it was his first 21K, and some “RAH RAH” would have been much appreciated. No excuses on that front !
So here is to my Virgin 21K runner! Way to go!!
Up next is the Newton 25k and Penang Bridge Full Marathon ! Don’t ask why – all I can say is that is the plan!
Post Script : Conversation with the man in the car on the way home ; Anu : “Hey that wasn’t so bad ! What you think we try full marathon distance next year in KL”
The Man : “Hmmm!!! 42K in KL…. maybe ok .. we see”.
Now folks beyond crazy I dunno what else to call it!









